Anti-Gravity Boy

Title: Anti-Gravity Boy
Mangaka: Azuki Ryo
Genre:Shoujo, Comedy, School Life, Supernatural, Romance
Summary:' A boy who can walk on vertical spaces, sleep on balloons. What's his secret?Fuuko's keen on getting to know his secret and quite possibly, him.
Date of release:2002
I'm in love with this manga. I think I've this four times, never got bored and still am in love with it. The art's cute, typical of 2000s shoujo manga style or at what will, in near future be called 'typical'.
All of the characters are brilliant and lovable. Although, I won't say they've any serious depth. You won't hate any of them. At least I didn't. Unlike many shoujo manga female lead, Fuuko is far from annoying. Rather, I'd say she would be the driving force behind the manga. Ryo sensei has a way with her female characters (read: W-Punch) and this time, it felt no different. Without or without anti-gravity powers, Fuuko makes the manga a very enjoyable read. Ruka's no less. At first sight, he came out aloof. When you get to know him, he comes across as cute. Especially with his 'without knowing, I followed her/his orders' thing. Their friends are lovable too;Natsuki and Yumi, the idiot couple.
Natsuki and Fuuko don't get along with Natsuki calling Fuuko 'Ugly' and Fuuko in response telling him 'People who dye their hair early end up being bald later'. Yup, Fuuko will give it back as bad as she gets. She showed it on countless occasion. The girl is clear on what she wants and what she doesn't. According to others, Natsuki and Fuuko are too much like each other. And I could see where they're coming from. Their banters add to the charm of the story. Often times, their chemistry threatens to override the chemistry between Fuuko and Ruka. But of course, thankfully, there's no love triangle. Natsuki's very much happy in his relationship, thank you very much.
Yumi, too, is good. We don't get to know her enough to hate her or love her. She's just...there. A vital part to the story, though. Not only because she shares a past with Natsuki and Ruuka but also because Yumi and Fukko tell each other everything. Everything, much to the dismay of the two boys.
This story isn't character driven. More like plot driven which is usually the case for short manga or any manga which isn't psychological.
There just isn't much romance/chemistry for me to ship Ruuka and Fuuko. The romance between them could've been explored a lot more but, disappointedly, it didn't. With an explanation of Ruuka's powers and a confession, the manga ended. If only, they could've resolved the Natsuki, Yumi and Ruuka's past issues in earlier volumes rather than the last one. I mean, I would've loved to see some more development in the romantic aspect of their relationship rather than just the friendship. Gotta say I felt unfulfilled in the 'romance' aspect of Anti-Gravity Boy.
#awesomefemalelead
Comments
Post a Comment